Diet can have a profound impact on mood elevation. For optimum relief of depression symptoms include the following:
- Magnesium may ease symptoms of depression by acting as a muscle relaxant. Food sources include: spinach, chocolate, pumpkin seeds, oysters, sunflower seeds, brazil nuts, buckwheat, avocados, quinoa, almonds, barley.
- Consuming foods that are high in tryptophan along with foods high in complex carbohydrates will help enhance the proper absorption of typtophan more effectively. Carboydrates may also boost serotonin activity in the brain.
- Certain omega-3 fatty acids may be beneficial for depression. Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is an omega 3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acid that is the building block of human brain tissue. Low levels of DHA have been associated with depression.
Leading Food Sources of omega-3 fatty acids: Salmon, Trout, Tuna
- Because folic acid is often deficient in people who are depressed, getting more of this vitamin through foods may help. The vitamin appears to have the ability to reduce the high levels of homocysteine associated with depression.
Leading Food Sources of folic acid: Asparagus, Beets, Spinach, Avocados, Brussels sprouts, Bok choy, Cabbage, Savoy, Beans, dried, Chick-peas, Soybeans, Lentils, Oranges, Peas, fresh, Turkey, Broccoli
- Selenium may decrease symptoms of depression.
Pictures are for display purposes only--actual products/decorations may vary.
Remember that ANY healthy gift basket can be decorated for ANY occasion!
Basket will be decorated with YOUR recipient/occasion in mind!
Unforeseen high demands may occasionally necessitate an item substitution in a basket. The substitution will always be of equal or greater value. In addition, we reserve the right to suspend the shipping of chocolate when temperatures could cause melting. Typically we substitute other products for chocolate from May-September, but unusually warm weather my necessitate substitutions at other times of the year. Please contact us if you need additional information.
The information provided on the WellBaskets.com site is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition. Allergy statements (gluten free, dairy free, etc) are based on statements from individual food manufacturers. Well Baskets LLC assumes no liability for claims made by food companies. Always read labels to check ingredients if severely allergic.